SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
[snip] 35 more minutes and we would have made it. [snip]
"The searchers all say she'd have made Whitefish Bay if she'd put fifteen more miles behind her."

-- Gordon Lightfoot, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

The rule of thumb is the first time you think about reefing is the time to put in a reef. The first time I did it on my boat (a Newport 28) I did it with sail ties at each reef point. It didn't look pretty, but Lordy, the difference it made in handling the boat. I already had the small jib up, so that kept the trim balanced and we had zero weather helm.

The question I always ask myself whenever I'm making a decision is "What if things don't work out as I planned?" When you decided you could beat the storm in did you ask yourself "What if I don't beat it in?" You made your plans based on a steady five knots -- did you ask yourself "What if I can't make a steady five knots?"

Contingency plans are vital. "Hoping for the best" is not always a viable plan. But you did good by surviving to sail another day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook