SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
In addition, I'm going to have my sailing instructor teach me how to heave to during my next lesson. I think the ability to do this is paramount. Though I am unsure if the Catalina 22 will heave to properly. I don't think there is enough keel under the boat but we will see..Alan
As you have probably learned by now, even if the boat will "Heave To", you won't be able to "Heave To" with a 150 (certainly not in high wind). It will be more like...Heave Ohhhhhhhh! In your situation, "Lying A Hull" might have been an option, if done early, when (and if!) you had enough water to Leeward. Hopefully, you have upgraded your sail inventory. Not having a large enough sail, can make for a long day on the water. Not having a SMALL (and therefore, sturdy) enough sail can be a matter of survival (as you discovered). Your evaluation of your experience was thoughtful and testosterone free (probably left it out there !). Well done!
Edit: I should make it clear that I have no idea if a small boat like the C22 is capable of "Lying A Hull" I think if you are sailing a small boat (any boat, for that matter) in waters where conditions can become severe quickly, you should know if it can, and if so...how to do it.

Last edited by L124C; 06-09-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook