SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delmarva Circumnavigations
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
We generally go in mid-late August in order to synchronize with a family gathering in Cape May. I would go in June, given the the choice. August features spotty wind and hurricanes; twice we have had to maneuver around them, either waiting in a harbor for it to pass, or rushing home with rising winds on our tail.

Many people chose to convoy, but there is really no need, with due care. Watch the weather and have several alternate plans, get good maps and guides, and enjoy the solitude. There are no obligatory runs over about 45 miles.
What are your thoughts on entering Chincoteague in a mono hull? Most of the folks I've read about doing this trip seem to go for a "cape to cape" run but the plan for the HH group is to run an overnight leg covering Delaware Bay and a section of the Atlantic leg, planning for a daylight arrival at Chincoteague.

Unfortunately, I can't make the trip this year, but was curious about why most others have chosen to do the Atlantic leg from Delaware Bay to the Chessy or vice versa, if Chincoteague is a reasonable stopping point. Many accounts I've read have indicated there was not suitable harbor (for a sailing vessel) between Cape Henlopen and Cape Charles.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook