SailNet Community - View Single Post - back/head stay length and mast rake
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010

fixxxer0 is on a distinguished road
back/head stay length and mast rake

when i bought my C&C 30 last year i had the standing rigging replaced (i noticed a couple cracked swages and the rigging was at least 12 years old and raced on).

i cant exactly remember much how it sailed before the rigging was replaced ( i think it was pretty balanced) but since then i have noticed i have some slight lee helm, where i would rather have slight weather helm.

now i know all about lee/weather helm and sail balance with the main and jib and the trim of both. my concern is the mast seems to be straight as an arrow with no rake. from what i have found, C&C recommends ~8" aft rake (which in my case would remove the lee helm hopefully and add slight weather helm).

here comes my question! i have a roller furling (has a north sail sticker on the unit)and a turn buckle on the backstay. with this ~40' from the deck mast straight up, how much would i have to slacken the forestay and tension the backstay to get ~6-8" rake? i dont think i have much play with the stay lengths, the turnbuckles can only take up a couple inches i think.

will the stays have to be shortened/lengthened? i dont even know how i would slacken the headstay with the roller furling on it...

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook