SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I just happened to find this photo on another website. Note that the point of vanishing stability is less than ninety degrees. I amend my prior post and say that I never was over more than 60-70 degrees on my 22 – But it sure felt like it. More importantly, check out this guy’s rig. It looks like he has a boom kicker type of solid vang. I highly recommend this or a topping lift going to the top of the mast. The little “pigtail” topper isn’t good for anything more storage (I cut mine off). See also how he runs his lines aft. The rope clutch is probably over kill and you can easily get by with a series of cam cleats. What you have done so far in boat prep is very impressive and you are on the right path. You are wise in wanting to rely on your sailing skills rather than your engine. The C22 is small enough that it will hobby horse in wind driven chop, pulling the lower unit out of the water and sometimes completely submerging the engine. You were sailing in wind waves and not a seaway. If you are ever caught in ocean swells, It is easy to stall out the sails while in the toughs and the C22 lacks the mass to effectively drive up the next wave face. I have used my outboard very effectively motor-sailing in these conditions.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook