SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010

JimCate is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=GeorgeB;611485][FONT=Arial]I just happened to find this photo on another website. Note that the point of vanishing stability is less than ninety degrees. I amend my prior post and say that I never was over more than 60-70 degrees on my 22 – But it sure felt like it.

G'Day All,

Boy does this thread bring back memories! I bought Cat-22 #61 direct from Frank Butler at the factory in North Holywood, took her back to the Bay area and sailed the hell out of her for the next 7 years. Being young, fairly inexperienced and somewhat stupid I exposed my wife and young cihldren to far too many life threatening experiences on the Bay. I can attest that with the keel down and sorta locked Kookabura recovered from mast-in-the water knockdowns several times, usually whilst rounding the YRA mark at Yellowbluff (lots of vertical downdrafts there). The comment that the above pic demonstrates AVS being less than 90 degrees is only accurate if the boat did NOT recover from his awkward situation... ours always did, thank goodness! Don't know what would happen with the keel up... Frank always said it would still recover, but fear that it might be kinda slow.

Sailing, and especially racing, such a boat on SF Bay results in often sailing in 25+ knots. Our sail inventory soon grew to include a small (70% as I recall) jib, purchased from Bacon as recommended above, and a deep reef in the main. Later we popped for a 150 and eventually a kite. The latter sail added to our number of knockdown experiences! Fortuneately, by then the kids were bigger and I'd divorced the wife (or vice versa). Not sure if the threat to buy the kite had anything to do with that...

Anyway, I sure had a lot of fun with that boat. Spent a month on her in the Gulf Islands/Georgia Straits area, did several trips to Monterey and several from Santa Barbara out to the Channel Islands as well as many seasons of SYRA racing. Given the OP's apparent good attitude and desire to learn, I bet that he will have fun too. Good onya, mate!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Port Stepens, NSW, Oz
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook