SailNet Community - View Single Post - docking procedures
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Kelti - I strongly suggest that you consider taking a course or going out with someone other than your boyfriend at least once or twice to learn the basics. I consider myself a very good teacher when it comes to strangers, but when it comes to my wife, she and I have an understanding that I'm not the right person to teach. We learned this when we started dating and she decided she wanted to learn to ski. I had been skiing for years, and tried to teach her - it didn't work out well (there were tears, but 20 years later we are still together ) Once she took a class and had the basics, then it was fine with me teaching more advanced aspects, etc. Same with the boat, the first couple times out she was just a passenger. Then she went out with someone else to learn some of the basics. Now, I'm able to work with her on more advanced issues, like sail trim. Going out with someone who knows how to teach to at least learn the basics should make the entire process much less painful. I'd also suggest reading at least one good intro to sail book before going out with an instructor - it will make your time much more productive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook