SailNet Community - View Single Post - docking procedures
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 06-11-2010 Thread Starter
KeltiC

Thank you all...for your wonderful advice.

I know that each time out will be different in all aspects of sailing. And I know I have lots to learn before I feel totally comfortable and confident.

In response to your question, Faster, I was handling the lines (if you want to call it that) and he was steering the boat. He had me get off at the dock and (since I am not very fast with tying the only knot I know) I wrapped it around the cleat as I was told. Then apparently the stern started to swing away from the dock, he told me to loosen the rope which I did and then he demanded that I get back on the boat...which I did.
Was it my fault that the boat started to swing out? What could I/we have done differently? Afterwards he said that I have to keep an eye on the boat and to stabilized it and make sure it doesn't move. So, what was I supposed to have done...reach out and grab it by the lifelines to hold it in place?????
I'd probably have fallen into the water if I tried that!

I wanted to take a 'crash course' this Sunday, but he thinks it'd be best to wait till I had a bit more experience 'under my belt' first.
*sigh
So, we go out again, not this weekend...but the following one...and we have to go for fuel...before we do anything. Does anyone know of anyone who delivers??? (J/K)
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions...I'm sure you have not heard the last of me!!!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome