SailNet Community - View Single Post - docking procedures
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010

KeltiC is on a distinguished road
Thank you all...for your wonderful advice.

I know that each time out will be different in all aspects of sailing. And I know I have lots to learn before I feel totally comfortable and confident.

In response to your question, Faster, I was handling the lines (if you want to call it that) and he was steering the boat. He had me get off at the dock and (since I am not very fast with tying the only knot I know) I wrapped it around the cleat as I was told. Then apparently the stern started to swing away from the dock, he told me to loosen the rope which I did and then he demanded that I get back on the boat...which I did.
Was it my fault that the boat started to swing out? What could I/we have done differently? Afterwards he said that I have to keep an eye on the boat and to stabilized it and make sure it doesn't move. So, what was I supposed to have done...reach out and grab it by the lifelines to hold it in place?????
I'd probably have fallen into the water if I tried that!

I wanted to take a 'crash course' this Sunday, but he thinks it'd be best to wait till I had a bit more experience 'under my belt' first.
*sigh
So, we go out again, not this weekend...but the following one...and we have to go for fuel...before we do anything. Does anyone know of anyone who delivers??? (J/K)
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions...I'm sure you have not heard the last of me!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook