SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
A Cal 20 sailed the Singlehanded TransPac (SF to Hawaii) last year...Correction on that Ranger 33; I think heavy winds were predicted; it was rough for several days out there. I have a feeling that they thought it was not as bad as predicted; then it got a bit worse than predicted and they had nowhere to go but to try and cross the SF Bar.
How about...Downwind and regroup? I'm confused. Heavy winds were predicted, but then it got worse than predicted? Soooo...they got caught with their pants up?
I beg to differ regarding the forecast, as I clearly state here:
Couple Die Sailing To San Francisco
In fact, I was thinking about going out that Sunday and clearly recall a fairly typical SF, Summer NWS prediction - Small Craft Advisory with winds up to 25 Knots. As I assume you know, in SF that translates into "lets go sailing!".
The archives show that by Noon the wind at SF Beach was at a steady 20 (unusually early), and quickly built to a steady 30 with frequent gusts to 40. The call to the CG from from the Cliff House was sometime around 4PM. So I think the couple knew what they were in for as they left San Mateo and entered SF waters, despite the errant forecast. Anyway, we are going a little off topic here and the other post deals specifically with the incident. See ya there!

Last edited by L124C; 06-11-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook