SailNet Community - View Single Post - can it be done ?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010

rainbowinme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to rainbowinme
can it be done ?

HI ALL,
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON SAIL-NET I HAVE BEEN A LONG TIME READER & JUST LOVE THE WEALTH OF INFO HERE , I REALLY NEED SOME THOUGHTS FROM YOU GUY'S / LADY'S , I LIVE HERE IN AUSTRALIA , AND I LIVE & THINK OF SAILING EVERY WAKING HOUR , I HAVE HAD NO REAL SAIL EXPERIENCE ONLY LOTS OF BOOKS / DVD'S SO FAR , PLANNING ON SOME SORT OF SAILING COURSE IN THE NEAR FUTURE, I NEED YOUR HELP & ADVICE ON WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY IDEA , I AM STILL 2 YEARS SHORT OF MY ADVENTURE & STILL SAVING , I WANT TO FLY OVER TO TURKEY & BUY A WOODEN GULET , 20m LENGTH , 5.6m BEAM , 2 MAST , 2 HELM STATIONS , 6 CABINS (A VERY BIG BOAT )
FOR ONE MAN .
IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS CAN I BRING A BOAT BACK TO AUSTRALIA BY MYSELF, AS A SOLO SAILOR ,THE VENTURE IS 15000 nm TRIP , ( ABOUT 6 MONTH'S) I TEND TO SET THE BOAT UP TO BE AS SHORT HANDED AS POSSIBLE, WITH ALL THE LATEST ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT INCLUDING, AUTO-PILOT , RADER , ANY THING THAT WILL HELP, I TEND TO STAY IN TURKEY FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS WITH THE BOAT AND PAY FOR LESSONS ON MY NEW BOAT EVERY DAY BEFORE I LEAVE WITH A EXPERIENCED SKIPPER / CREW , JUST OFFSHORE, IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS SHOULD A ROUND THE WORLD TRIP BE ATTEMPTED SOLO IN SUCH A BIG BOAT , ONLY HAVING JUST A FEW INSHORE LESSONS / READING BOOKS / & SETTING THE MIND STRAIGHT FOR THE ADVENTURE FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS , I COULD TAKE THE WIFE & SON WITH ME, IF I KNOW IT WILL BE SAFE TO DO SO , NOR DO I WANT TO PAY FOR CREW IF I DON'T NEED TO , I MEAN IF A 16 YEAR OLD CAN DO IT SOLO ,CAN I WITH ONLY LITTLE EXPERIENCE , I COULD EASILY BUY A BOAT IN MY COUNTRY , AND JUST FORGET ABOUT THE WHOLE IDEA BUT WHERE IS THE ADVENTURE IN THAT.

OF COURSE SAFETY COMES FIRST , BUT I REALLY WANT A WOODEN GULET THEY ARE JUST SO BEAUTIFUL, SHE WOULD DEFIANTLY BE OCEAN CROSSING READY BEFORE I LEAVE , I COULD SELL IT HERE & DOUBLE AMOUNT THAN WHAT I PAID FOR IT , THEN GO BACK & DO IT ALL AGAIN , HOW MANY NAUTICAL MILES CAN A SOLO SAILOR ACHIEVE IN A DAY ? , AND HOW DOES HE TRAVEL AT NIGHT , AM I JUST CRAZY OR WHAT ? OR WILL I NEED TO AT LEAST HIRE ONE SKIPPER , IF I WAS JUST GOING TO BUY A SMALL BOAT AND SAIL COASTAL THERE WOULD BE NO QUESTIONS ,

I WOULD LOVE TO BRING WIFE & SON (HE IS ONLY 11 AND COULD BE HOMED SCHOOLED) AND YES THEY WOULD LOVE TO COME TOO, THEY COULD BE TRAINED AS CREW, OR IS IT JUST TO DANGEROUS FOR THEM, AS SKIPPER OF MY BOAT I WOULD NOT WANT TO ENDANGER THERE LIFE'S , BECAUSE OF MY SELFISH DREAM FOR THE OCEAN , HOWEVER THEY DO KNOW HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO ME & WOULD LET ME GO ON MY OWN AND DIE DOING WHAT I LOVE TO DO, AS LONG AS I HAD A GOOD INSURANCE POLICY, (NOR DO I INTEND TO DIE ) I ONLY INTEND TO SAIL THIS COURSE AT THE RIGHT PREVAILING TIME OF COURSE ,
I HAVE NO SAILOR FRIENDS TO TALK TO ABOUT MY IDEA ! THIS IS THE FIRST PLACE ON SAIL-NET THAT I HAVE EXPRESSED MY DREAM , & I WOULD LOVE TO HERE YOUR OPTIONS ON THIS, I HAVEN'T EVEN DARED TO TELL FAMILY ABOUT IT NOR INTEND TO UNTIL LAST DAY THEY WOULD NEVER UNDER STAND US ADVENTURER'S & STEER US RIGHT OFF COURSE .

MY WIFE & I COULDN'T THINK OF A BETTER LIFE, STILL LIVING THE DREAM & COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS I WILL BECOME A SAILOR TOO. .. ......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook