SailNet Community - View Single Post - You read a book and now know how to sail?!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010

ymiri is on a distinguished road
You read a book and now know how to sail?!

Obviously, nothing beats practical experience. Going out with an experienced sailor and learning all the tricks of the trade is the most valuable knowledge you can gain - but what if that's not an option?

Here is the dilemma, I was at the local marina, talking to a sailor (I call her GI Jane) who has crossed the pacific solo on a sailboat. I was telling her I am thinking of signing up for lessons, now the only lessons are on a dinghy that are offered.
She said that sailing on a dinghy and getting on an actual sailboat were two different things and the only way to learn properly is to go with someone experienced. Since then, she has moved to the other side of the country.
I have tried to get someone else to learn from, but it is turning out to be very difficult.
Now if these lessons wont really help, I don't see the point.
I think I know the answer to this, but with a beginner and a 20ft sailboat on a small river can you really learn on your own if you know all the theory?
I am guessing no and it is potential for disaster but I guess I just want to hear it from you guys
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook