SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chesapeake cruise - perhaps Delmarva loop
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 06-11-2010
pdqaltair

I've done the Delmarva a number of times in a boat no larger than yours, and with similar amenities (Stiletto 27). I became so enamored of the expereince, hopping in an out of the inlets, that I wrote a detailed guide book that I sell through Alibris and my blog, below.

That said, you've drawn a big challenge. No engine on the Bay is workable, but it's going to make the tidal inlets a hazardous proposition, unless the wind an tide are just so. Time is a problem too. Why rush the experience? It took me 8-10 sailing days each time, with shorter days in some cases, but that's on a boat that could motor at 10 knots and sail faster. It is about 450 miles, and given some headwinds, no winds, and bad days, that's a bunch! But I won't say that you can't do it - I do suspect some long days and a few evenings.

Read "Eastern Shore - Western Wind" for a wonderful account of the trip in a small boat. I think it was 24 days. There is also information on my blog. I hope you make the trip, but allow a little more time, I think, so that you can drink in the expereince. Your classic boat deserves that.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome