SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heavy weather sailing in a catamaran
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010
planet wanderer

seashine is on a distinguished road
Hi TropicCat, forgive us down here in Oz but which storm and when? Is lying ahull achievable/possible in a cat with mini-keels?
And thankyou SailingDog for the reference to McMullen's book, I'll see if it's available locally. I am aware of the use of drogues and sea anchors and the importance of strong points to attach them to, but have been disappointed in a lot of cats I've looked at in terms of heavy weather preparedness. I cannot fathom why anyone would risk no inner forestay and no permanent backstay on a cat. It would seem that for production boats (and this means mono- as well as multi-hulls) the trade-off between lightness and seaworthiness leans heavily in favour of the lighter boat. Unfortunately cats are often the lightest of the light, hence their poor reputation in serious weather. I know this is not a foregone conclusion, it's a matter of design. Any pointers on seaworthy catamaran designs (the Wharrams are definitely seaworthy but the accomodation is somewhat uncomfortable) would be most welcome:-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook