SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Windlass twisting line / chain - change 3-strand or add anchor swivel?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
New Windlass twisting line / chain - change 3-strand or add anchor swivel?

Hi Folks,

I installed a Maxwell Freedom 500 Windlass about a month ago. I have only used it about 6 - 8 times and it worked flawlessly.

(sidenote - so far really impressed with the Manson Supreme. Sets super quick and has to be broke out, by motoring ahead, a few time already)

Now, however, it has started to jamb when letting the line out, especially near the rope to chain splice. I went to the anchor locker to have a look, and the chain had a couple of twists in it, near the spice to the rope. The 3 stand line had a twist as well.

It retrieves the line and chain just fine. It is letting it out where the problem arrises. I do suspect, however, that the retrieval of the 3 stand is putting the twists in it, and therefore the chain.

I know that the manufatcurer and people here recommend the 8 plait over 3 strand, but the manufacturer does say 3 strand will work.

Is this where my probem is coming from for sure, or could it be that I don't have an anchor swivel??? Would a swivel prevent twists 50 ft away, where the chain is spiced to the line?

Which is the most likely culprit? I have 250 ft of 1 year old 3-strand, so I was hoping to be able to use it! However, going to the anchor locker each time, to undo a few twists is not exactly convenient, so I have to do something!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook