SailNet Community - View Single Post - Varnishing easy way out door?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Varnishing easy way out door?

We have been going around and around trying to decide on what producet to use on our teak cap rail. We have finally gotten it all caulked and now will strip it and …..
There are many openions on what is best.
We will be retiring in tow years so I do not see the problem with a light sanding every 6 months and a recoat or two of varnish.
We will be cruising Mexico and beyond.
We want the cap rail to look nice like glass and putting on ten coats of varnish is not what we would like to do. If it were the only thing or if we were retired now then OK. We are of course “getting ready” which means we have 10 projects going all the time like every on else I would think.

A couple products have been mentioned and I am a little scared with the two part products. I have read they are extremely hard to remove. Why we would want to remove it I do not know but I do not want to regret doing the work.
Here is one mans take on it (has same boat).

“I must say that my experiment using bristol has worked out great so far. Last november I had my guy do a light sand and add two more coats. That was at 18 months, didnt look like it needed it, the manufacturor said that it will get uv damage unseen though and to re-coat, so I did. Got to say I love it, still looks like glass, its hard and durable. And man no varnishing every 6 months forever, just my two cents,”

I checked the Bristol web site and did not see anything about removal.
Bristol Finish Home

Another boat I saw like ours paid a person and they used Epifanes Wood Finish on the cap rail and it looked real fine.

So am I looking for the easy way out door and have to face up to if we want it to look great we need to put on ten coats? We both work 40 hr jobs so that is a time isssue.

We have been putting ten coats on the varnishing on the inside of the boat and it looks real nice. Slow process. Kinda if there is a parts shortage for a project I will slip in some varnishing.
Thanks
Chip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook