SailNet Community - View Single Post - compass differences
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Hello all, I have noticed this year, my pedastal compass, and GPS headings are very close however, the readout on my autohelmis like 40 degrees off. There is nothing metal or magnetic by it, is it an adjustment?? Red
I have to step in here a moment. Your GPS is not showing heading at all. It is showing a direction across the ground. Boats are like aircraft in that respect. Where the nose is pointing is not always thew way we are going. We travel in a moving air mass. Unless we are going directly upwind or downwind our direction we are headed will be different then our ground track. I suppose in a sailboat you can throw in leeway in addition to water currents. In addition to all of that you can throw in magnetic deviation and variation.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook