SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising anchor w/ winches
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
For years we sailed a 29’ boat without a windlass. We did have a bow roller and a Windline chain stopper however. For hauling in the chain I had a U-shaped cleat bolted about 2.5’ above the end of the 6’ long shaft of an old oak oar with a non-skid rubber “foot” on the short end made from a piece of an old tire. Lay that down on the deck next to the chain and slip a link close to the chain stopper through the U-Cleat. Then lift up the handle end. If you have a foot block handy (we did) you can rotate the handle all the way aft and down to the deck quite easily. With our arrangement I was hauling in 5+ feet of chain with every lift with the chain stopper grabbing the chain while I rotated the handle back for the next lift. It is a bit time consuming but it saved my back many times in deep anchorages in the Channel Islands. (This was an arrangement I learned from Eric and Susan Hiscock while they were moored next to us in Sausalito on a stop-over on their trip to NZ in Wanderer IV in 1970 or so.)

FWIW…
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook