SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transpac 2012
Thread: Transpac 2012
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010

Dulcitea is on a distinguished road
Transpac 2012

I have this goal of sailing in the 2012 Transpac . . . even though I don't wear belts (you get a buckle).

I have this goal, but did you see this year that none of the participants are women? More to the point: they all have a lot of experience. They can change fuses. I'm on light bulb 101.

I have been sailing most of my life. I'm an okay sailor. I have a bluewater boat, albeit slow. I love to sail solo.

My question is: how handy do I need to be? Am I an Abby Sunderlarn x 4 (my approx. age) in the making if I can't fix or jury rig everything that breaks on my boat? Today I failed to replace the coolant hose on my engine. Pretty basic; pretty sad. Is it hopeless? Am I destined to sail to Catalina and back for eternity?

What can go wrong in 19 days to Hawaii? Plenty.

It would be great if I had the know-how to rebuild my boat. Heck, it would be great if I could change the impeller. I am not young. How many tricks can this old dog learn? And, where do I lean them? Staring at the Westerbeke manual for an hour bore forth no fruit. So, should I forget it? On the other hand, I've worked hard for 25 plus years and I can pay for my rescue

Between you and me girls, sometimes I think the guys just fake they know it. Confidence is at least 51% of the battle and as you can see from my post I'm lacking.

My baby is off to college next year. I have bene married 25 years. I have been waiting 25 years for this moment. I NEED TO THIS GOAL.

Then again I would like to be around to spoil my grandchildren.

Thanks for letting me emot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook