SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another First Time BVI Charter
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010

jelman is on a distinguished road
Self-provisioning & money question in the BVI?

We will be chartering from Horizon out of Nanny Cay and plan to self-provision. This is our first time in the BVI and we'll be following what seems to be a pretty standard itinerary. Two questions:

1. Is it feasible to re-stock at any of the other islands, and if so, where would you recommend going?

2. I keep seeing recommendations to take either cash or travelers checks, because ATMs are scarce and many smaller places don't accept credit cards. Is this outdated advice? I travel a lot internationally and must confess that I haven't seen a travelers check in years! Are there really few ATMs (esp. at the smaller islands), and are travelers checks really the way to go?

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Two unsolicited comments:
- Consider only half-provisioning. You'll likely be eating some meals ashore and snacking enough that you'll skip some meals.
-You'll probably find the 35' boats meet your needs in terms of space for two and sailing. Typically the distances covered in the Virgins are are not great. If you don't need the waterline, why bother manhandling bigger sails?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook