SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying my spinnaker
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Flying my spinnaker

OK, so I've had my boat for more than 10 years and have done quite a bit of club racing but have never used my spinnaker during a race because it's a big freaking sail and I'm just not comfortable with it yet but want to begin to use it now.

Just in case, I have read the basic how-to by Steven Colgate in the Articles section of this site and it only deals with one line on each tack and clew. My setup has two on each and wonder how that is supposed to work.

But I'd like a little help with how to manage the lines for it. It came with a set of sheets and guys(?). One set for each side, port and starboard. The sheets have a large plastic donut on them just before the shackle which I assume is designed to keep the spinnaker pole from moving up onto the sail. The guys are also attached to the shackle.

OK, can someone walk me thru raising the sail, jibing it, and lowering it while managing it with the sheets, guys, and halyard? I went out yesterday with five of my closest friends and put it up in 15 to 18 knots of wind and it was a real circus but fortunately no one got hurt save for a little rope burn on one of their arms when we did an accidental jibe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DwayneSpeer; 06-20-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Add details
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook