The guys go through a block on the rail near the shrouds, then aft directly to a winch. The sheets go outside to blocks on the strn quarters, then forward to winches.
When setting the sail, use the guy on the windward side and the sheet on the leeward side. To hoist,
- raise the pole
- preset the sheet (pull aft past the mast
- trim the guy (now called the aft-guy) to bring the tack out to the pole, and the pole aft to a right-angle to wind direction
-set the fore-guy (pole downhaul)
- (pre-setting the guy and sheet reduces the chance of a wrap) hoist like mad
- Trim sheet as needed,
- Bear off to a run
- Trim in the lazy sheet (the windward sheet otherwise not in use)
- release the aft-guy and lower the pole, remove the aft-guy,swinging the pole to the leeward side
- Gybe the main
- Set the old lazy guy into the pole, raise the pole then trim old lazy guy (now the new aft-guy
- release the old sheet..now the lazy sheet
it is probably a good idea to practice for a while in 5-10 knots..
Certified...in several regards...
Last edited by sailingfool; 06-21-2010 at 08:41 AM.