SailNet Community - View Single Post - A couple of Questions for you
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
1. We are looking at buying the boat about 2 years out. When do you start looking in earnest?
NOW! About a year ago would have been better.
Quote:
2. Really don't want one until I sell the house, but would you borrow the bucks for the right boat and pay it off once you sell the house?
If you are serious, I would not go into debt to finance a boat. I would save enough to put a down payment, or suggest selling the house NOW and renting until you find the right boat.
Quote:
3. Buyer Broker? Get one or not? One guy or Multiple?
Most brokers that I have dealt with want to be MY broker... Frankly, I don't see the need. I have learned a lot from a lot of different brokers. If I were working with only one, I doubt that I would know as much about boat buying as I do now.

Quote:
5. One of the boats they suggested was a 35 Wauquiez. Saildrive? No personal expereince with them, but I don't like the looks of them. Opinions or experience?
I agree with SailingDog's appraisal of the SailDrive. Great for coastal cruising because they give you more freedom in the interior layout. However, they are more complex to install (and fix) could and require difficult to source parts if you are going to exotic ports...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook