SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another First Time BVI Charter
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
Regardless....

Quote:
1. Is it feasible to re-stock at any of the other islands, and if so, where would you recommend going?

2. I keep seeing recommendations to take either cash or travelers checks, because ATMs are scarce and many smaller places don't accept credit cards. Is this outdated advice? I travel a lot internationally and must confess that I haven't seen a travelers check in years! Are there really few ATMs (esp. at the smaller islands), and are travelers checks really the way to go?
1. Yes, we stopped at JVD Marina, Little Harbour and Marina Cay for the essentials - water, ice and rum. Recommend checking the cruising guide for other stops with better grocery options but yes, quite feasible to restock around the islands - although we had no problem initially stocking and storing plenty of food for 7 days.

2. Didn't see any ATMs, but they weren't actually in my cross check. We took cash and easily convinced all the merchants to accept it. I haven't done traveller's checks since the early '70s.

BTW, we did our first BVI charter a few months ago and it went perfect - if you care to PM me I'd be happy to talk one on one regarding your first time down there and what to expect.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook