SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transpac 2012
Thread: Transpac 2012
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Are you thinking about the Single Handed Transpac in 2012 that originates in San Francisco or the crewed Transpac in 2011 that originates in Los Angeles? The Single handers left last Saturday and have been experiencing winds in the thirties and large swells. Several have already turned back due to electrical & communications issues. The 54’ trimaran currently in the lead blew a masthead block, requiring a trip to the top of the mast once the winds abate. They say that the Hawaii races are all about who can do the most effective repairs at sea. The boat I did the 08 PacCup in developed rudder, Mast T-Track, issues, blown blocks, severe halyard chafe and a ripped up perforated toe rail (during one very memorable squall!) To do the SHTP, you have to qualify by doing the SH Long Pac which is run in the odd numbered years. Your boat most be modified to ISAF Category 1 standards which can easily take over a year to complete. I know a female SHTP vet and she is one of the best sailors I have ever had the pleasure to know. Good luck! And keep us posted. Racing to Hawaii is one of the most memorable and rewarding things you can do in a sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook