SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware Bay/River Upper Chesapeake get together September?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
We wandered down to Delaware City over the weekend and checked out Crabby Dick's. Seemed OK - not fancy, but reasonable prices and good view of the Delaware from their outdoor deck. We ate on the deck and had such a nice time that we forgot to go inside to look around.

It looked like a sleepy little town. There was a wedding reception or other private event going on in the marina. My friend at work still talks about crime concerns, and said that the marina and boats kept there are very run down. I did not see that - the marina was redone a few years ago, and there were some gorgeous large sailboats there.

Ulladh and Denise - Do you have any experience getting in and out of the "old canal"? The chart shows 1-3 feet at the entrance:

A friend at my marina said he cannot even get his little runabout in there at low tide. But he's been pushing hard to get me to buy his used dinghy, and looks for every excuse he can. Sure enough, after his little lecture on the shallow water, he said, "You need to buy my dinghy to get in there."

OTOH, the ferry to Pea Patch island seems to run at all times of the day, so there must be some water there. (Maybe I could call the ferry and ask them if they have to restrict their operating times due to the tides.)

So have you guys taken your boats in there before? Do you have a GPS track that is proven to work? Obviously if we try to "ride the tide" downriver (and up the next day) we may be hitting that canal near low tide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-27-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook