SailNet Community - View Single Post - G/Flex, Flexypoxy for Keel Hull Joint?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010

brianontheroad is on a distinguished road
G/Flex, Flexypoxy for Keel Hull Joint?

I've removed all the sealant in the keel hull joint (I'm not dropping the keel this year.......that requires cutting out the floor and pulling the mast -- negatory) and was originally planning on sealing it with 5200

keel is cast iron, flanged (as in it's through bolted into the bilge, not cast in j-bolts)

after some reading/research and speaking with West Systems -- I'm now considering a few options:

1. only seal joint with 5200 (caulk immediately after final wire brushing of iron)
2. seal joint with 5200, grind back 2-4" above joint on the hull and 2-4" below joint on keel and glass over sealed joint using glass laminted with G/flex Epoxy
3. seal joint using thickened G/flex Epoxy, grind back 2" above/below joint as well
4. seal joint using thicken g/flex and laminate over it with g/flex glass

also interested in pettit's flexypoxy -- also looks good -- but I called both West's and Pettit's tech support line, at West got someone knowledgeable -- an engineer and at Pettit got someone with ****** who didn't seem to know much more than the product spec sheets, so I'm leaning towards West

my gut says 5200 + gflex glass, but I'm considering an all G/flex solution, keel is a fin and I know it moves some so obviously need something flexible

anyone have real world experience with either G/flex or Pettit's Flexypoxy?

Pettit Spec Sheet: http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ds/1707628.pdf

G/Flex Info: G/flex Epoxies

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook