SailNet Community - View Single Post - G/Flex, Flexypoxy for Keel Hull Joint?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010

brianontheroad is on a distinguished road
You're right, the keel isn't supposed to move -- but I'm pretty sure it does a little as that's where the crack in the old sealant came from, I've re-torqed the keel bolts so hopefully that keeps it a little tighter but it's a 43 year old boat, so I'm sure there's some give there -- obviously the best solution would be to drop the keel and use epoxy to match the bottom of the boat to the keel, but that's not happening this year

the old sealant had pretty much given up the ghost (no idea how old), it just pulled out of the joint for the most part in tact or at least in long strips, so I'm going to replace that and possibly add some insurance with a layer of glass around the joint (it's what beneteau and hunter do in this situation....seeing as they make a lot of bolted on fin keel boats seems like a good idea), after speaking with a tech at West the glfex sounds like a good idea as the epoxy to use in that glass

dog I agree, I think some epoxy before 5200 is a safe bet....at least I can wire brush through the epoxy to remove any flash rust once I apply it and be sure that there's a healthy bond there, the only issue is I can't get all the way into the joint with a wire brush, not even on my dremel but I can at least get into the first half of it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook