SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transpac 2012
Thread: Transpac 2012
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
In the March issues of Good Old boat, there was an article about a fellow who did the race two yrs ago in an Olsen 30? some little off shore doable boat, had some good info on how and what he had to do for the race, along with what he did in the GL's sailing single handed.

Then a note in this months (july?) issue of Sail, a fellow was talking about a triple handed race across the atlantic, one of the crew was a top european SH racer, a few comments where made about his thoughts about racing solo too. ie when the winds got to 40 knots for the two hours as mentioned above, he knew it would be for say 2 hrs, he would not worry about lowering sails, or changeouts, as it would take up too much energy, and depower the sails for those 2 hrs until the wind was expected to lower. There is a bit more to this than what I typed, best to find the article and read it.

The other, I am sure I will get hit for being chauvinistic or equal. It seems like women have to do things right the first time, know how to do it better etc than men. My wife is this way to a point. meanwhile, I do it once, figuring if I get it somewhat right, I succeeded, the next time should be better, and on with the third. If a mistake is made, no biggie. Spouse on the other hand, a mistake is a mistake, that is bad! If I was doing this, I would have plans if you will for any type of problem, most, I and you for that matter probably have not run into these issues, so having a plan on how to fix, or deal with the issue is the BEST key, and hope you can fix/deal with on the water. Here it might be my step dads antidote for everything when growing up, double back tape and epoxy.

I still say go for it, get some time by yourself in etc, learn as much as you can, and most of all, have fun! be serious, not not too much

Marty