SailNet Community - View Single Post - A couple of Questions for you
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010

Duckwheat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A lot of what your answers will be, have to do with what you plan to do with the boat.

If you're planning on making bluewater passages, I would recommend getting a boat that does not have a saildrive—especially if you're planning on sailing in more remote areas. While many boats have made bluewater passages with a saildrive, it is probably safer to do so in a boat with a traditional shaft and prop. Also, getting a saildrive serviced in remote areas, especially if the bellows fails, is probably more difficult.
I am looking to go cruising. Cross oceans and see how far I can go. I am not going to break the bank or get something too damn big I cannot sail it or keep it up. When I get to a foreign port I do not want to be paranoid about leaving the boat. I am looking 35-40 foot. IP is just one make there are others that will certainly work. I have the patience of a buzzard. I do not want a bunch of wood to keep up. A friend bought something big and old. Too much of a project. I am going to be on the coast for two years living on it, so I have some time to get everything in shape to depart.

DW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook