SailNet Community - View Single Post - NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183

Looking to replace my Garmin GPSMAP 215. The unit is over 12 years old and the screen "B/W" colors are difficult to read. On this particular model the water is the darker color and the land white. Totally goofs with my brain.

My eyes are bad, so I need a bigger screen and have the option to pick up a slightly larger screen from a fellow sailnet member for a decent price, but still on the fence about what to do. The screen on that model is only slightly large than mine, but I suspect it will be easier to read since it is color screen. The GPS will be mounted on a swing arm in the companionway about 4 ft from my eyes.

Not really looking for advice on which GPS to get, but the big question is, I can pick-up a 6.4 inch screen for about 50% of each original cost, but it has only NMEA 0183 inputs and is on clearance and a discounted model from Garmin. Newer models have NMEA 2000 inputs, and wondering if this is the way to go for future proofing. Obviously the newer models will be more $, but if it allows me to integrate other stuff later, than I would consider it.

So the question is: NMEA 2000 going forward or NMEA 0183 is well established, will be supported for at least 5 years, and therefore would be fine for sometime.

Thanks.

DrB