SailNet Community - View Single Post - NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-22-2010 Thread Starter
DrB

NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183

Looking to replace my Garmin GPSMAP 215. The unit is over 12 years old and the screen "B/W" colors are difficult to read. On this particular model the water is the darker color and the land white. Totally goofs with my brain.

My eyes are bad, so I need a bigger screen and have the option to pick up a slightly larger screen from a fellow sailnet member for a decent price, but still on the fence about what to do. The screen on that model is only slightly large than mine, but I suspect it will be easier to read since it is color screen. The GPS will be mounted on a swing arm in the companionway about 4 ft from my eyes.

Not really looking for advice on which GPS to get, but the big question is, I can pick-up a 6.4 inch screen for about 50% of each original cost, but it has only NMEA 0183 inputs and is on clearance and a discounted model from Garmin. Newer models have NMEA 2000 inputs, and wondering if this is the way to go for future proofing. Obviously the newer models will be more $, but if it allows me to integrate other stuff later, than I would consider it.

So the question is: NMEA 2000 going forward or NMEA 0183 is well established, will be supported for at least 5 years, and therefore would be fine for sometime.

Thanks.

DrB

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome