SailNet Community - View Single Post - A couple of Questions for you
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
We went down to the All Sail show in Oakland and were able to crawl thru a few boats. I like the Island Packets a lot. Attended John and Amanda Neal (sp) offshore seminar.

Here are the questions:

1. We are looking at buying the boat about 2 years out. When do you start looking in earnest?

2. Really don't want one until I sell the house, but would you borrow the bucks for the right boat and pay it off once you sell the house?

3. Buyer Broker? Get one or not? One guy or Multiple?

4. If number 3 is yes, anyone with a recommendation in the Nortwest?

I thought the Neal's did a good job of making me a little more open minded on boats to consider and what to look for in a boat.

5. One of the boats they suggested was a 35 Wauquiez. Saildrive? No personal expereince with them, but I don't like the looks of them. Opinions or experience?

Thanks in advance.

DW from Boise, temporarily in Naknek, Ak.
I think of IP's more as a nice coastal cruising boat than a blue water boat. The Wauquiez Pretorian 35 is a proven well built blue water boat. They built them with saildrives and with traditional shaft drive. I think they all had Volvo engines, at least all the ones I looked at did. I wasn't looking for a bluewater boat and the combination of deep keel and the Volvo convinced me to move on, even though I really like the robust construction of the Pretorian.

You didn't really say what your sailing experince is, but one thing you could consider is getting some offshore experience through an outfit like Offshore Passage Opportunities over the next couple of years. That would give you a chance to evaluate different boats in offshore conditions to help you decide what you think is important in your boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook