SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd like to emphasize that this is a good tactic that is often overlooked, and quite an acceptable one for short summer afternoon thunderstorms and squalls. Of course, it really only works if you have a decent anchor and rode that can be relied on and know how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
I just came across this thread. I am not even going to try and act like a tough guy, this is some scary stuff here! Anyway, I have never had ....Then we got a slight drizzle and I started to wonder if things were going to pick up. We were not even 1/2 mile from the harbor, I stood nearby just in case. So I was NOT going to bring my boat back to the marina only to see the sun pop out and turn into a nice day. I decided to stay out and just incase we got some super strong out of nowhere winds, I dropped all sails and put the anchor down. We went below decks to stay dry until the drizzle stopped. Then, that was the extent of it. This got me to wondering many "what ifs", common sense told me to get the sails down and drop anchor. ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook