SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
GeorgeB, thanks for the advice though plans for this boat should not be to elaborate as I am upgrading to a C27 within the next 6-8 months. The C22 is now kept in a slip so at least I can leave my sail controls attached. I recently received a really nice used sail from Bacon sails. It is a jib from an Etchell 22. This jib equates to about a 90-95 on the C22. The boat balances much easier now. I returned the Harken reefing system and installed a simple line and carabineer setup to allow easy reefing. The system is much simpler and faster to use than the Harken system. I am aware of the corrosion on the mast and boom; the boat is 33 years old. The cost of replacing this equipment rivals the total value of the boat. I am running into the dilemma of ďbeing that I am selling the boat within this sailing season- do I want to invest money that I will not get back?...Ē Itís a shame about the kinked shroud. It is brand new and I received it that way from Catalina Direct. I didnít know any better when I installed it. The wires are not broken or unraveled. ??? The hole on the coach roof is filled with West system and sealed with boatlife caulk, as are all the holes. Is this not enough?
Regarding someoneís comment on a furling system; I am partial to hank on headsails. They donít jam, get stuck and with a downhaul I KNOW the sail can be dropped on a whim. The extra work is worth the security to me. My opinion is not unfounded, my friendís Hunter 22 has a furling system on it and it seems to jam right when we really need to drop sail. Works great when the suns out thoughÖ
On another note, I must say that since I took up sailing it has almost become a lifestyle. I seem to always have something to do either to or with the boat. This seems to be a lifelong process of learning.
One other thought, someone noted that a bigger boat leads to bigger and more complicated issues. I fully agree. However, the walkways and foredeck of the C27 seem to be MUCH safer to work on compared to the C22. Itís like a jungle gym on the C22. Everything seems to be right where I need to stand.
All in all, I have learned much from this experience. Thank you all for the replies and advice. Hopefully others have read it and taken the advice and lessons with them as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook