SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail shape
Thread: Mainsail shape
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010

Gorlog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Gorlog
Mainsail shape

Hello, I have a question about the main sail shape of our columbia 26'. We are all new to sailing, but I do understand that when beating, it's desirable to have about as flat a shape as possible on particularly the main, but head sail as well. Our main sail has a lot of belly coming out right off the foot of the sail, resembling a loaded baby diaper. By observing sails on other boats, I indeed see a problem, and I don't think it's fixable by trimming lines that control sail shape. I definitely had the luff tensioned well, first I had the halyard hauled up, then I actually grabbed the gooseneck and hung off of it with all my weight before I cleated the downhaul. I had the outhaul as tight as all the strength I could muster. Even with the boom-vang hauled in on, the sail persist to sag out right off the foot of the sail. Most of the time we were close hauled so the main-sheet actually had good vanging action as well. It seems the sail was sewn with just to much belly parallel to and just above the foot. Are there some sails that are cut that way? Or perhaps the sail has just had alot of use and is stretched out? Thanks for any answers you may have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook