SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to pack
Thread: What to pack
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Dunno if you're in BDA or not but if not this might be helpful and if so, hope you're having fun! Trip across this year was pretty calm so hopefully that holds for you! I wouldn't worry too much about base layer, this layer that layer etc, just stay away from cotton - cotton is worse than nothing. Stuff I generally bring (and keep in mind this is racing, but it'll give you an idea):

-Regular camet shorts with the butt pads
-2 or 3 pairs of boxers (fine, these may end up being cotton)
-Bathing suit
-3 pairs ankle socks, 1 pair sealskins
-Harken or whatever running shoe style deck shoes
-3 dryshirt type shirts
-1 fleece top
-Musto MPX bibs - something similar to their BR1 line would be fine if you don't do this much
-Musto MPX dinghy smock, but I'm going to drop this one
-Henri Lloyd jacket, not top of the line but a good solid gore-tex one

If you don't have a jacket, you could get away with the dinghy top and 2 fleeces... it's not a long trip and it's warm for at least half of it - the great thing about fleece is even soaked it's still warm. STAY AWAY FROM COTTON, it's evil and cold the second it gets wet.

The big secret is... gold bond and baby wipes. Have a baby wipe shower every day (face more often) and powder your undercarriage every time you go on/off watch. You'll also be a much happier guy if you don't neglect the teeth brushing. Dry feet, a dry butt, a non-salty face, and clean teeth will go a LONG way to keeping you happy. Also, visit the Pheonix (pharmacy, close to RBYC) and buy yourself some Stugeron, esp if this is your first trip. I don't bother taking anything anymore but the stuff is magic and you can't get it in the US. Actually, if you want just send me a PM and we can arrange to meet up and I'll just give you some of mine - I always carry a supply in case it gets REALLY snotty or there's another crew who's looking a bit green.

Last edited by ste27; 06-25-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook