SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oil in Heat Exchanger
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Oil in Heat Exchanger

Something tells me this isn't a good thing.

Yanmar 3GM30F, 1752 hrs, starts easily, runs fine, exhaust not smoky. I have noticed a bit of oily residue on water at exhaust after starting.

After our last outing I checked the coolant level and noticed it about 1 inch lower than normal, stuck my finger in with the above result. Mechanic is thinking head gasket or cracked head...gasket on order from Japan with 2 week delivery.

Anyone have a good source for Yanmar engine parts so I can possibly get parts quicker? (It's June....sailing season...arrrgh!!)

If it's a cracked head he's saying I'll have to repower since replacement heads are not available. Any ideas for who/where to buy a Yanmar?

I will get an oil analysis done ASAP to check for water in the oil. IF no water in oil AND it's a cracked head I plan on running it for remainder of season....will keep an eye on coolant levels.

Anyone have a 3GM30F in the shed that was only used to take granny to church on Sundays?

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook