SailNet Community - View Single Post - First REAL sail on Revival...
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
First REAL sail on Revival...

14kt winds with 15kt gusts, I kid you not, 6pm to 8pm, check the link...

NDBC - Station BUFN6

A perfect southwest wind to try the new main and the 10 year old, in nice shape 110 roller furling jib (no genoa, until today didn't know why he had a 110 made) What we found out was, the new main alone drives the boat very well with less weather helm than before. With both sails out we were just on the edge of being overpowered. Maybe 15% of the boats had both sails out today. So 10-15kts seems to be right, any more and we need either a reef or a couple rolls on the furler, something I completely forgot we could do until we were ready to put it away.

Anyway, in 14kt winds we were at hull speed with a new main and 110 jib, passing genoa or main only boats like they were standing still. We ran down a Newport 30, a Hunter 25.5, and a couple smaller boats with both sails up. The green Morgan 30 "Ranger" passed us easily, as did a Beneteau 31 "Innsfree" both boats we see regularly.

Revival sails closer to the wind than my O'day did, and does so with much less leeway, but still not as close as the better boats. She's pretty stiff but we were regularly heeled over to 25 degrees, most time at 15 or less. She does not track straight at all, lots of weather helm in gusts, I need to get the tuning right or have someone look at it for me.

Best day of sailing I've ever had though. I love the boat, just gotta work out the kinks and finish the deck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook