SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiny Dehumidifiers
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
The dehumidifier has both a sensor to ensure that the tank is in place, as well as a float switch to turn it off when the tank fills up. So the best way to drain directly into the sink would be to install a tiny "through-hull fitting" in the back of the tank and attach a tube to run to the sink (or just put it in the sink).

I had been planning to do this, but it is way down on my very long list of more important safety improvements. Plus, lately I've been there to empty it out at least a couple times a week.

My basement dehumidifier is rigged to empty into a sump so I don't have to empty the tank. Unfortunately I have had two of them fail in the last 5 years, and they ran for [weeks? months? years?] before I noticed. (I discovered the most recent failure when I stuck it in my boat and got no condensation in the pan for a couple weeks.) So I try to run everything off the tank for at least a couple muggy weeks out of the year so I can gauge the rate of moisture removal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-27-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook