SailNet Community - View Single Post - Basic cost question
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of variables to the costs... For instance:
  • Are you planning on keeping the boat in a marina or anchoring out most of the time?
  • Are you going to be going out to restaurants every other night or cooking and eating aboard most of the time?
  • Are you going to pay the yard to do the maintenance or do most of your own maintenance?
  • Are you going to get full coverage insurance, and for what cruising areas?

Your costs will depend a lot on how you answer them and approach cruising.

I'd point out that getting a boat over 40' is going to escalate a lot of your costs, and a 50' boat will cost at least twice as much as a 40' in maintenance and such typically, as costs generally double with every 10' in length as a rough rule of thumb. BTW, a 50' boat conflicts with a "minimalist" approach IMHO.

Also, what experience do you and your wife have? I'd point out that when cruising, you will often be sailing the boat singlehanded at different times and should get a boat that either of you can singlehand.

What is your approximate budget for the boat in question? I highly recommend that you reserve at least 15-20% of your boat buying budget for refitting, modifying and upgrading your boat, since boats are not like cars, and often need to be modified to suit the way you will use the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-27-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook