SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

US Yacht 25' - Are they as bad as they say?

68K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  joethecobbler 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm getting ready to purchase a 25' US Yacht for $2500, but I recently read that they are built from the molds once used for Bayliner boats. Apparently Bayliner sold the design to Pearson, who built a few boats and then they sold it to US Yacht who used it for a few years in the early 80's. The boat I'm looking at seems pretty decent, and has everything I'm looking for (except headroom). It seems well built and solid, it has a split backstay, in mast halyards, in boom outhaul, cockpit forward traveler, Lewmar winches, an enclosed head, operable portholes, a decent sail inventory, etc.

I don't plan on having a survey done, as I don't think it's worth paying 20% of the boats purchase price to have someone tell me what I already know. I've gone over every inch and I haven't found any issues. No water penetration, no loose hardware, no chain plate problems, (teak bulkheads), no soft spots, nothing really stands out. All in all it appears to be a decent little boat, which makes me wonder why everyone I've talked to says they are pieces of junk. Has anyone owned or been intimate with one of these?

This picture is not the actually boat, but exactly like it.

US 25

See less See more
#2 ·
THAT pic is not a pic of a typicaly Bayliner that most of us know about. In reality, that boat looks like a decent designed and sailable boat. The bayliners that I know about in that range would have a deck another 1-2' higher and another row of windows.

I also do not recall any problems with some of the US Yacht boats built. Yes a spin off of Bayliner, that did go BK in the 80's, but a lot of BB's did that do to the recession at the time, including Cal, O'Day, Islander, Erickson etc that built nice boats.

Marty

#5 ·
I sailed on one of these years ago - very small cockpit since they try to cram some accomodation into a smallish hull. Decent performance for a small boat, though.

It is actually a Gary Mull design - which is a good thing - but of concern, for example, was that fact that the main bulkhead was not tabbed into the hull. I can recall seeing light between the hull liner and the bulkhead edge.

The US 22 and 25 were Mull, the Buccaneer 295/US30 and 33 were Doug Peterson designs - decent pedigrees but reputedly poor execution.

But at least from a design point of view they were leaps ahead of the infamous Buccaneers that most associate with the name (and Bayliner).

#9 ·
us 25

I just recently bought a US 25 and I love it! The cockpit is a bit cramped and the tiller seems a little long, and getting to the outboard can be an adventure but over all I think she is a fine craft and I look forward to many happy years at the helm!
How ever I have found it very difficult to locate much info on this model....any help would be appreciated!

#12 ·
The orginal Bayliner 25 was a boat to stay away from. It was designed with to little of a sail area, too much freeboard with little if any input from a sailing aspect of boating being developed by the powerboat manufacturer. The US 25 however is quite different. I owned one and outsailed alot of 25ft buidlt by others and gave more room than most. The teck sole was a nice added. I wished I had gone with the US29, since the head room was missing.
The quality was good. Hope you are enjoying

#13 ·
I have a US25 and it's great. There are quite a few threads on this forum with both sides speaking out, but I say to make sure to listen to those that own them and sail them regularly. Very well balanced boat with a good amount of space inside and out for it's size.

As for the tiller issue, I replaced my wine with a shorter one made out of hazelnut wood. I thought it was too long too.

Agreed on the headroom, just a few more inches in height would be nice.

#14 ·
Us25

I have a US25 and it's great. There are quite a few threads on this forum with both sides speaking out, but I say to make sure to listen to those that own them and sail them regularly. Very well balanced boat with a good amount of space inside and out for it's size.

As for the tiller issue, I replaced my wine with a shorter one made out of hazelnut wood. I thought it was too long too.

Agreed on the headroom, just a few more inches in height would be nice.
I owned a US 25 back when they were being made. As the the tiller, I also made it shorter and added a extension to it. I used the existing tiller, and cut the end , rounded and revarished it and put tiller cover on it.
I tested one with a buidlt in engine, and it was great for handling since the prop was in front of the rudder.
|Have a great long weekend.

#18 ·
The US Yachts were actually decent built boats. They weren't fast, but they were decent cruisers. Things to look for are bulkheads being rotted, as well as the teak/holly sole will be trashed. The windows leaked (like everything 30+ years old). They do sail quite well, and the fin keel model will hold up in a blow like nobody's business. They aren't pointing machines, but who cares its a $2500 sailboat.

If the bulkheads are good, the chainplates are good, standing rigging is passable. Mast straight and all hardware still present... You're 99% there. Other thing to check is the rudder post, these wobble (not a big deal), but you'll have to shim it to keep it from dropping the rudder. Not unusual to hear of the rudders falling out, again, take some precautions and you'll be fine.

My father bought a brand new US 27 in 1981 (I was his crew). It was a HELLUVA boat. We sailed it on Lake Norman, NC for 4 years, then moved it to NJ and sailed it on Barnegat. We actually raced it a lot, lost lots... We only ever placed when the winds were 30+ sustained, and a water spout formed on the lake.

As for the US 25? My brother owned one for 10+ years (just sold it about 4 years ago)... Windows leaked like a strainer. Sailed it like mad though. They go over quick, then harden up nicely about 20 degrees. Trick to get them moving is a decent sized genoa. On the 27 we had a 170 we used up until the winds his 20+, on the 25 my brother never had more than a 110, and because of it, spent many a hot day with light winds going very slow. These are masthead rigs with blade mains, again headsail is the key.

If you want any more information feel free to PM me.

#22 ·
Attitude is everything........well, at least for some folks.

#23 ·
Upkeep is the deal (the windows leak, like in my Capri 25, and my Capri 22, at 30+ yeras the seals/windows crack and leak, duh)...as for kenneth... well, I think he stands out as a colossal waste of electrons, other than that... who cares?

The OP asked a question are they horribly built as has been said. They aren't any worse than, a Catalina, or a Hunter, or a MacGregor, evidence is they are still being sailed 30 years later, and they were a production boat. They have their issues, as they all do.

My personal experience with the 27, and the 25 is they are tough boats, sail well, but aren't going to set the water on fire with speed. With that they are big for their size (cruiser class). The US Yacht brand is slightly different than the Buccaneer or Bayliner models, they are arguably lighter, and less ugly, and generally better laid out.

#24 ·
Upkeep is the deal (the windows leak, like in my Capri 25, and my Capri 22, at 30+ yeras the seals/windows crack and leak, duh)...as for kenneth... well, I think he stands out as a colossal waste of electrons, other than that... who cares?

The OP asked a question are they horribly built as has been said. They aren't any worse than, a Catalina, or a Hunter, or a MacGregor, evidence is they are still being sailed 30 years later, and they were a production boat. They have their issues, as they all do.

My personal experience with the 27, and the 25 is they are tough boats, sail well, but aren't going to set the water on fire with speed. With that they are big for their size (cruiser class). The US Yacht brand is slightly different than the Buccaneer or Bayliner models, they are arguably lighter, and less ugly, and generally better laid out.
US Yacht was merely a division of Bayliner wasn't it?

#25 ·
Yes but when they were Us yacht the topsides and lines changed sugnificantly as I understand it they eventually became the Triton molds before they were (are) abandoned. Yep I understand the molds still exist.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#26 ·
Hi. I thought I have a US25, but now I think its a Buccaneer 255. Its a 1979 model and US yachts didnt take over til 1981. Plus it has a Volvo sail drive 50s 7.5 hp. None of the US yachts seem to have one, or Buccaneer 250s. I found the specs on the 255, but no pics. Its all is the same as the US 25 and Buc 250 except it weighs 4100 instead of 3750, and the spec said 3.5 ft draft but mine has a deep keel. I was wondering where the extra weight comes from? The sail drive weighs under 70 lbs. Does anyone know about these Buccaneer 255s. I dont think there are that many of them.

#27 ·
I cant speak of the exact model but the Buccaneers as I recall had taller topsides than the US line. I'm betting this is where the weight difference is. Keep in mind those weights are "average" as with all boats and can vary as much as 20% within the production. The buccs and bayliners may have been the same hulls but the layouts and decks were different. As also said the topsides were taller on the older models.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#28 ·
Ok, i found a magazine ad for the 1979 buccaneer 250. Go figure? Its sister ship is the 255 and comes with an inboard. Extra weight must be from fuels tank, exhaust, blower, and stuff like that. The 250 weighs 3750, just like the us yachts version. If you got the optional galley, then the cabin is layed out like the Us 25. Mystery solved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.