SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to Point Better
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Bottom is clean, scratch that idea. Could you comment on boat speed? Granted you are not pointing as high as others but is your speed comparable? How much "extra" stuff do you have in the boat? Full water and fuel tanks etc.? A 1000' all chain rode and a monster storm anchor swinging off the bow? Occaisionally I'm amazed at how much crap gets stowed on my boat in lockers over time. I'm on a 31' and can really feel the difference of taking a few hundred pounds off the boat, especially weight out of the cockpit lockers. What about your crew weight? In light winds some boats actually point higher by moving human ballast to the low side in order to induce more heel. Have you tried to just ease everything off a bit to put in a little more belly/power into your sails? Although it seems counter to logic actually easing the outhaul and putting a little belly in my main actually helps with my boat's speed which then translates into a few more degrees of pointing. I've had good success with unconventional alterations of sail trim on my boat, a short fat cruiser, that would have horrible results on the small J boats that I race on. If you are running DFL anyway in your next race, that would be a good time to experiment with everything you can, halyards, vang, outhaul, cunningham, jib cars etc... You'll eventually find the combo she likes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook