SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reefing and Heaving to.
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
While hove to, she kept slowly outrunning her slick. It was barely noticeable but the majority of the slick seemed to be amidships and aft. Forward motion was unnoticeable to the eye but not to the GPS. Is this normal? Is it the result of the shallow hull design of the C-22? I tried playing with the jib sheet and main sheet, easing tension here, tightening it there, but the result was the same.
This is called fore-reaching, and is pretty common among more modern designs, which don't heave to quite as well as older designs did.

Quote:
When reefing, my boom seemed to lift higher than the goose-neck. Tightening the mainsheet had no effect. Sail shape remained pretty good. Is this normal? What effect did it have? I tightened the luff until it was as straight as it would go and the boat seemed to be fine. I have nothing to compare it to so that is why I am asking.
Yes, this will happen because the reefs are cut to keep the boom higher, since you can't often tighten down on them as much as you can on the full sail.

The main reasons that reefing the sail reduces weather helm and heeling are simple—by reefing, you've moved the center of effort lower and further forward, since you've moved the material of the sail down and forward.

Flattening the sail does help reduce heeling a bit, since it depowers the sail. Reducing the sail area obviously helps reduce heeling, especially when sailing upwind or a beam reach, since the wind doesn't have as much to push on. The boom being raised doesn't do a damn thing for weather helm or heeling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook