SailNet Community - View Single Post - Look for Bristol 28 owners
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010

Wired is on a distinguished road
Bristol 28

I have a 1973 Bristol 28 and I agree it is hard to find any info on them. I used to be a yachtbroker for 15 years and rarely came across one. Our keel and rudder look quite different than yours. We have a sort of a swim platform attached to our transom (probably added to increase the waterline when previous owner raced her) Our rudder appears to be much longer than yours and is attached to a very narrow skeg. As we were fitting her out this year we noticed that the skeg has delaminated right at the bottom where it attaches to the rudder and we are wondering how to repair it. When we bought the boat in 1991 the skeg was delaminated so we had the yard (Spring Point in S. Portland) build a new skeg.I guess they built it the same way and it did the same thing. It's not as bad as before except that there appear to be 2 separate pieces so now nothing is holding the smaller piece (that attaches to the rudder) to the bottom of the skeg. We don't know if just grinding it down and reglassing will hold it or if we should put a metal plate on there and then glass it. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
Our boat's name is WIRED and she was previously owned by an electrician in Portland and was raced, I believe. We've owned her for almost 20 years and she has been a great boat. Sails like a dream even with the old sails we bought her with (probably will replace the genoa soon).

Last edited by Wired; 06-29-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook