SailNet Community - View Single Post - Laying Still at Anchor
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
......One question is "How big does the anchor sail need to be?" My thoughts are that it needs to be a bit bigger than you would think, but that's based on little or no information. It might pay to get an old storm jib and attach it to your backstay to see if it has enough affect.
It need not be very large.. the one we use down south is maybe 6 feet on the 'luff' and with a 4-5 foot LP - much smaller than any storm jib you're likely to have aboard.

This little riding sail nicely settled the B 36.7 down, but I imagine that sitting in 15-20+ knot trades requires a smaller sail than lighter conditions.

As an aside, you'll often notice ketches and yawls with their mizzens set at anchor - usually for the same reason. Of course, with the normal camber of the sail it tends to slat a bit which I'd find annoying, a properly flat riding sail doesn't have that tendency and is not working in the 'lee' of any mast at all.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook