SailNet Community - View Single Post - Personal Hygiene
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010
Geekaholics Anadromous

catamariner is on a distinguished road
LOL, I got sucked into this thread even though it wasn't what I thought when I read "hygiene" :-) Note: get a twist-cap-sealed tube of semi-liquid color/gloss, b/c regular lipstick WILL melt! But I would like to add one very important hygiene item: wet wipes for the head (potty, not hat rack). We use a RackSack for the paper (has a lid; saves the head) and wet wipes in addition to TP for that fresh-in-the-AM feeling, makes the seawater-and-SunShower much easier as a lifestyle. I would never, ever go without a moisturizer I trust and sunblock (including safe-for-face or safe-for-kids: same general principle there), and something aloe-based for healing burns (liquid ammonia on a washcloth or other porous cloth will take the immediate sting out of a bad sunburn, although it will smell a bit while wet: also a dab of it is great for taking the itch out of a fresh mosquito bite, but NOT on a no-see-um bite, as that is open flesh).

I brought a few bottles of various skin toners with us last time just because I had them; turns out such products GREAT for relieving a hot sticky face/back of neck/chest in a tropical August anchorage... and rubbing alcohol will do that and several other jobs around the boat once the various toner bottles are gone. I am hoping that my hair goes back to its sun-bleached look once we've been out a while, gray blends fine with that. And like everyone else, the healthiness of the lifestyle gives everyone a more beautiful look than they had ashore, naturally! :-)

Last edited by catamariner; 06-29-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook