SailNet Community - View Single Post - pre purchase survey
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010

NSGhostrider is on a distinguished road
pre purchase survey

I'm still looking for my first boat, have looked at several but havent found "the one" yet. I was looking at buying a 1971 mirage 24 for several months and when I finally decided to buy her, she sold that morning. oh well not meant to be.

I know getting a survey is important but I was looking at a boat last weekend a C&C 24 that looked in good shape and the boat was recently surveyed but I had a bad feeling about it for some reason and decided to walk away.

anyway my question is this.

As important as getting a pre purchase survey is would you rely on a survey that the owner had done within the last year that showed the boat as in well maintained condition with no concerns, or would you go the added expense and hire your own surveyor to do a new survey?

my concern is this, I've looked at several boats in the last 6 months that some had a survey done within the last 2 years for insurance purposes and I'm not sure if accepting them as true condition of the boat as stated or did the PO have a survey done my a "friend" inspector that gave him a good survey for insurance purpose.

I know this is being paranoid to a degree but if it was your first boat purchase with a budget of 6- 8,000.00 what would you do?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook