SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mariner 47
Thread: Mariner 47
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010

gouldjb is on a distinguished road
Mariner 47 - for sale

whoops - hit submit too quickly...We took this vessel (Free Spirit) trans-Atlantic when I was 10 yr old and up to Norway, my father wrote a book about it ("North Atlantic Odyssey"). Unbelievable experience and unbelievable boat.

I don't think any of the Mariner 47's are anything like Free Spirit (he's dumped well over $1M into it -- he's crazed!?!) A sloop (originally cutter) rig, he customized the keel design, added GMT carbon fiber mast/boom in the late 90s when we got into racing and has every top of line electronic gadget you can think of! :-) She was refitted with new engine, redesigned high-tech keel by Empacher, and taffeta protected, carbon fiber/Vectran sails.

It pains me as it's been such a deep part of our family history, but he's selling her as he's in his mid-70s and just doesn't have the energy anymore. Honestly, I should buy it from him, but don't have the family situation that would "support" the hobby!

If anyone is seriously interested in her, feel free to contact me (gouldjb@yahoo.com) - I think he has her listed with Eastern Yachts - pictures there...

Enjoy the thread and know that whomever ends up with her will have a lifetime of family memories...I'm proof positive.
Best,
John Gould
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook