SailNet Community - View Single Post - I love to learn the hard way!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I find I remember the lessons a lot better when I learn them the hard way. I kept previous boats on a mooring for about 15 years. I had our boat on the beach a couple of times and learned a new weak spot with the way I designed our mooring each time.

Lesson #1: I had a large nylon mooring line that went all the way down to a bouncer block with a float about six feet up to keep the line from wrapping up and chafing. In a blow, the bouncer block got tipped over. Now my mooring line is upside down and quickly chaffed through. So I added a length of chain later on.

Lesson #2. Don't mix stainless safety wire with galvanized fittings. The stainless wire caused the galvanized fittings to wear out prematurely because of galvanic action. Found boat on the beach again and then switched to plastic wire ties on all the underwater fittings.

Lots of other mistakes learned the hard way, but I must try and maintain the little bit of dignity I have left.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook