SailNet Community - View Single Post - College liva aboard
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
the 30' size fits me nicely-the 6 4 headroom a major plus. I got a pretty good deal... i found that some marinas have boats that they dont have much into (mine came out of receivership). they wanted 5k. i offered to give them a small cash bid, or pay 2500 and 500 a mo for six mo with the stipulation all marina fees (slip/elec/garbage) were to be waived during that time... they went for the latter and it worked out well. im guessing it worked out to about 3k

that being said.... it needed work. I replaced all running, interior woodwork and general finishing. rebuilt the carb, major tune up of a4, new ports, stereo etc. started with the essentials then moved on to the creature comforts.

I made pals with the guy who sold it to me, who let me salvage parts from hurricane boats he purchased. the deal was, if i used it i kept it, if i sold it i gave him some of the action. that helped costs a lot. being in school if you find some kind of project make pals with kids in other majors (ie elec eng.) to help you out with the stuff you dont know. for example a client of mine is a glazier and cut me lexan ports for no charge at all. some beer and time on the water is good bait.

oh, one other thing the marina does have b-room/shower facilities which is very handy, but down here in TX those are usable just about year round. i wouldnt trade it for anything.

good luck, have fun.

Grampian 30 Photo Album

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 07-02-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook