SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing bulkhead bolted chainplates with deck bolted with a wire strut
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010

MAnDaRIn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
While most machine shops could make them for you, I wouldn't recommend doing that without consulting a marine architect. Your boat was designed to have its rig in a certain position and moving it may cause serious issues.

I'd point out that the bulkhead in question is clearly structural, and needs to be replaced before you can use the boat.

It would help if you said what kind of boat you had, since there may be a known fix for the boat that other owners have come up with.
i know what happens when you move the chainplate around. I'm talking about putting it in the same place, same hole through the deck. bulkhead is not structural some previous owner glassed it in with polyester resin when i removed it most of the cloth wasn't stuck to the bulkhead.they aren't glassed in on other boats of the same make. before I had it hauled out I sailed thru a gail or two with out incident but they look to be pulling out from the look of the bolts angle. There is a aluminum vertical compression post that replaced the original horizontal wood one that rode on the bulkheads.
I know i can have someone fabricate them, I'm wondering any companies makes them or if get some that are made for another boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook